Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Custom.

Chinese family have this custom. Where we have to call our older siblings by 'kor' or 'jii'. This is Hokkien. But my sister calls me 'jie'  thats in Mandrin.

Anyway, today my sister finally gathered her guts to ask me after... hmm.. 3 years?

I say 3 years because, 3 years ago, she tried calling me 'Da' and I told her she can't call me that. Then she went to complain to marmee and marmee found it so amusing that she came telling me about it.

Sa: Why Ter gets to call you Da?


*Mom start grinning from ear to ear. I SWEAR I could just hear her heart waiting for it.*
*I came up with an answer but only would give it if she pushes it*


Me: Because he's Ter.
Sa: *smirking* So? Why Ter get to call you that?
Me: Why not? What's wrong with it? Why can't he call me Da?
Sa: Is it because he started from small?
Mom: Yaa.. and you called her 'Jie' from small.
Me: Yupe. That's why.
Sa: But why must I? Ter gets to call you Da. So why can't I? Why must I call you Jie?


*she was waiting for mom to give the green light*

Because even though Chester calls me Da, he still respects me.
But you. At least you have to call me Jie.



Marmee was happily smirking away.... and Sa, she *ZIPPPPPed*

Mmm..

No comments: