Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hey, it's love.

WHAT is the sweetest thing in life? Is it waking up in the morning and finding an “I love you” note beside you on the bed? Is it going to bed after hours in front of the PC and finding a drawing of a huge Smiley face wishing you “Good night, XOXO”? Or is it coming home after a long tiring day in college and being greeted with a bear hug?

Yes, I get all that from my sweet little sister.

I want to always be able to hug her, pinch her soft chubby cheeks, kiss her and carry her like a baby. But I also want to be able to talk about “deeper” stuff with her, instead of just asking, “Who did you go to recess with?”

I want my sister to remain innocent, to say the cutest things like, “The cuttlefish will cut your stomach!” But I want her to grow up, so I can finally have someone to share my clothes with. Well, I shouldn’t worry too much. She is growing up and there’s nothing I can do to stop that.

My sister says she wishes that we were twins. She already is a carbon copy of me. A mirror image, my Dolly. She looks like I did when I was her age. She has the same favourite colours as me. She does her hair the way I do mine. She listens to the music I like and watches the TV shows I watch. She even copies the fancy way I write.

The perfect sister? Pretty much so. Even when I do get upset with her, it’s never for long. Once I was angry and refused to speak to her. She wrote me a note saying, “I am sorry, sister”. How could I possibly stay angry? And people still wonder why I love her so much.

I want to protect her from the harsh realities of life: Sometimes people won’t like you for who you are, they don’t want to be your friend. Sometimes you’ll experience failure and disappointment, heartache and bitterness.

She has to experience all that herself. Still, I know I will always be there for her. If she wants me, that is. She might, she might not. Bonds can fade. Hopefully, not ours.

I will treasure the moments I have with her because not everyone gets a angel for a sister. The 10 years between us is not a gap. It’s a bridge that connects two separate souls.

The Sibling Connection (The Star, 13 September 2009)

It was written by my cousin. & no, I've no such sibling connection. Haha. Mine's the typical 'i-want-to-strangle-my-sister'.

1 comment:

tm said...

hahah, it was pretty shocking reading this post before i finally read the end.